proposal for kdevelop.org new website design

Sam S. smls75 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 22:10:23 UTC 2010

Hi again!

Once you guys are more or less okay with the website desgin proposal,
I could begin trying to create an actual CSS style based on my
mockups...
(Of course, I'll try to do it in such a way that changing & tweaking
any part of it at a later time will be as easy as possible.)

However, this process is going to take some time, as my free time will
be rather limited during the next several weeks. Therefore, I'd
appreaciate some feedback on the outstanding issues as soon as
possible:

@Alexander, David, & co who pointed out the excessively intense/rude
green color in the original mockups:
Do you think it is acceptable now in the current (January 8) version?
(It doesn't need to be everybody's favorite color, but it should at
least be *acceptable* to everyone...)

@Alexander, Andreas & co who expressed support for the mockup
variation with the really plain & empty (least "busy") top bar:
Do you think my current mockup also still feels too "busy", or is this
an acceptable compromise in this regard?

@Alexander, regarding your concern about the tab-like styling of the top links:
Have you taken a look at my alternative mockups? Any further ideas?

@Niko, regarding your dislike of the "Welcome" line:
Do you want to elaborate? (See my Dec 27 mail in this thread)

@Amilcar, regarding your reluctance towards JavaScript:
Would you be okay with a nice unobstrusive JavaScript-based
dropdown-box plus an HTML-only fallback in case no JS is available, as
suggested by Niko and also favoured by myself (and if I read between
the lines, probably others as well)?
For the HTML-only fallback, would you go with all flags in one line
(as it is in the current website), or just show the current one plus a
link to a "choose language" page (as suggested by Niko)?

@Amilcar, addressing you in your function as the kdevelop.org web master:
Any other outstanding major issues or show stoppers for my proposal?
Should I start implementing it, and then we'll see where to go from there?

Phew... reaching consensus over a public mailing list is hard... ;-)

Thanks for your input!

Sam