GSOC 2010 - Community Integration

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Feb 24 22:18:19 UTC 2010

On 24.02.10 21:43:14, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 February 2010 20:42:55 Arunoda Susiripala wrote:
> > This is my Hello World.
> > I'm really Interested about the idea that is about Community Integration
> > [0]
>
> As much as I'd like to see you work on KDevelop, I doubt it will work out with
> a GSoC. KDevelop is immensely complicated and you did not yet do any commits
> or got acquainted with the project in any way as far as I can see. Sadly, the
> last years have shown that "new blood" is - most of the time - not really
> capable of doing useful work for KDevelop in such a small timeframe as GSoC.
>
> > How should I start communicating on this. Is that OK to send my proposal
> > here?
>
> If you are interested in KDevelop, please start to write patches or give
> feedback. Get involved and if you stick around you can maybe do a GSoC next
> year. But if you are looking for a GSoC project I fear you are at the wrong
> place. Keep looking, I bet there are tons of other interesting projects that
> are easier for newcomers to achieve.

Sorry to say so, but are you nuts? GSoC starts in june or july, there's
plenty of time to get accustomed to the codebase in the next 3-4 months
- unless you want to do something for duchain. But even that is possible
if the student is a good capable hacker. And the fact that Arunoda
suceeded in a previous SoC suggests that he's at least worth having a
try.

While I agree that the past years didn't get somebody on-board for a
longer term thats no reason to not try it again.

You should go home.