Menu-Structure

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 17 10:26:19 UTC 2010

Am Mittwoch 17 Februar 2010 11:07:19 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> On Wednesday 17 February 2010, David Nolden wrote:
> > Ok, I will argue about 1 point: The Editor-menu is a waste of space?
> > The  opposite is the case. All of the menus that it hides are a
> > waste of space, and using this editor-menu we can reduce that waste
> > to 1 item instead of 3 items.
>
> The real solution is to integarte the katepart's menus in their right
> place.
> Editor-Settings-Configure Editor to Settings-Configure Editor
> Editor-View - toplevel View (well, every IDE/editor has a View menu...)
> Editor-Bookmarks - either toplevel or in some other menu, like under
> View/Edit. Or maybe Navigation.
> Editor-Tools- top level menu

That's exactly what we had before, leading to 13 top-level menu entries, and a
very clumsy menu.

The main problem is that having those menus as top-level entries creates a
totally wrong perception of what they might contain. You may be used to it,
but anyone who is unbiased would expect a "Tools" menu in an IDE to contain
things like valgrind, doxygen, etc., and not a random selection of encoding-
options and such from the editor.

The same goes for the "Bookmarks" menu: If it's a top-level entry in an IDE,
then it has to contain bookmarks that are _global_ to the session, and not
stuff that is local to the currently active editor view.

Putting them into the "Editor" submenu gives them the correct context, so you
know they only affect the currently active editor.

Greetings, David