extragear/sdk/kdevplatform/shell

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Feb 3 21:47:21 UTC 2010

On 03.02.10 22:29:57, Niko Sams wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 22:02, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> > Andreas Pakulat, 03.02.2010:

> >> Please revert at least the keeping of an extra list. Why is that needed?
> >> You can easily put Session*,0 into the hash.
> >>
> >> Frankly, I think we should just drop the noui stuff, after all we're
> >> building a _GUI_ app so IMHO its just fine if all core components assume
> >> they do have a GUI available.  If you want a unit-test that doesn't need
> >> a GUI, then you'll have to revert to not creating the autotestshell.
> >
> > @Niko: I once wanted to push that as well but also hit against the wall. Now
> > that a friend of mine showed me Xvfb there is no need for these patches (esp.
> > considering that they add unneeded "overhead" (code wise) to maintain).
> >
> > So revert and use Xvfb.
> I'm running them locally, with an X-Server avaliable.
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Oh, and if that NoUI stuff is broken we should completely remove it.

Well, its broken by design. If we want to be able to run some unit-tests
with some parts of shell but without needing an X connection, then we
need to split shell (and all its deps) into a core and a gui library.
Running around the code adding if( !NoUI) return stuff will lead to
unexpected/broken non-gui unit-tests at some point because the actual
code they try to test relies on certain things that are suddenly not
available anymore.

And yes I totally agree that having duchainify work without a gui would
be much nicer, hence I'm not suggesting to remove this stuff _right
now_. But we should do it first thing once 1.0 is released and then
eventually split shell if tools such as duchainify really need a non-gui
mode.

You are always busy.