Removing the detaching and KDEV_SESSION

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 1 22:24:46 UTC 2010

Am Montag 01 Februar 2010 19:39:52 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> Anyway, I'm tired of all this discussion right now. So how about the
> following:
>
> We inline the code needed in SessionController that calculates a
> session-id and that can list all the sessions, its static already right
> now and doesn't need any running code from the shell library. Then we
> create a small wrapper app (Qt only probably) which uses the inline
> functions to supply the --sessions output and generates a session id
> from the -s switch. Then it runs the real app as subprocess, without
> detaching it.
That is more or less what the kdev_starter thing does. Just someone needs to
allow it to have more exact knowledge about the sessions. The problem is that
their data is hidden in kconfig stuff.

> That way the duchain-stuff is only loaded once the envvar is set, we get
> proper stdout/stderr forwarding and follow-fork-mode should work again
> (though you'll have to disable it again once you broke into the main()
> of the reall executable).
>
> > Changing anything about that is out of discussion in medium-term, as the
> > relation between effort and potential value is exorbitantly bad.
>
> What exactly is medium-term for you? I'm asking with my maintainer head
> on here. Because if its clear that this won't be fixed within the next
> 12-24 months, then this won't happen at all.

By medium term I mean the next 6 months. I won't do any promises. I feel
responsible to make keep this stuff running, and to make it work properly in
the first place, and honestly that is already enough given my available time &
motivation.