Thread Scheduling

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Tue Dec 14 13:15:30 UTC 2010

Hey all,

Till Adam just gave me some comments on a few internals of KDevelop. He dived
into the code to investigate the ForegroundLock (which he finds to be a very
"interesting" idea). Anyways - in his opinion KDevelop has a huge issue with
thread scheduling, esp. of IO intensive jobs. For example we have the
background parser using two or more threads. Then cmake uses QtConcurrent with
$ideal-thread-count more threads. All of those are IO intensive and can easily
starve each other, so I understood him.

This is probably a hard task to solve, or even to investigate. Has anyone got
any good reads on this topic for me? Or any hints on how to debug / profile /
... this?

Bye
--
Milian Wolff