Auto-completion "eats" next symbol

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Thu Dec 9 14:57:33 UTC 2010

<julien.desgats at gmail.com>wrote:
> > Hey,
> > I've noticed a particularly disturbing behavior (bug?) on
> > auto-completion : when you type something while there is characters
> > after cursor, they are erased until the end of word if you use
> > auto-completion.
> >
> > For instance if you have ("][" is the cursor)
> >
> >   f][bar(0);
> >
> > And auto-completion suggest "foo", if you validate that suggestion,
> >
> > you will get :
> >   foo(][0);
> >
> > As you can see, the "bar" symbol has been erased. I think the correct
> >
> > behavior should be :
> >   foo][bar(0);
> >
> > or
> >
> >   foo(][bar(0);
> >
> > But if you are in the following situation :
> >   f][ bar(0);  // notice the space between the cursor and "bar"
> >
> > The result of auto-completion will be :
> >   foo(][) bar(0);
> >
> > As a result, I'm constantly forced to add spaces in such situations to
> > avoid auto-completion to eat existing symbols !
> >
> > So, what do you think about this idea of improvement ?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Julien
> >
> > --
>
> I've considered that many times. It's definitely easy to fix, I like it
> when I can just change the current word by triggering the completion.
>
> What do others think?
>
> Aleix

  Could not agree more - the auto completion is supposed to work best in the
majority of cases, where right now it annoys in the majority of cases... While
it does seem like a good idea on the surface to be editing the symbol you're
on rather than adding a new one, it does seem to turn out that well, that just
isn't the case. So yup, just as a user (not a usability guide here, this sort
of thing would need testing we just don't really have the time for), i would
certainly be glad to see the behaviour changed as suggested :)

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/

                          Co-