Improvement regarding tabs overflow

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Mon Dec 6 19:02:29 UTC 2010

Andreas Pakulat, 06.12.2010:
> On 06.12.10 19:13:22, Yannick Motta wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm disappointed by the way of kdevelop's tabs bar manage tabs overflow.
> > Currently, in the case of an overflow, we have to scroll right and scroll
> > left, seeking overflowing tab we are wanted to open it.
> > In my opinion, this approach is inefficient and unsatisfactory .
> > Instead of scrolling, I suggest adding a button offering the list of
> > overflowing tabs.
>
> You're barking up the wrong tree unfortunately :) Implementing our own
> tabwidget is out of the question IMHO (lots of code that someone has to
> maintain) and the widget we're using currently doesn't provide a way to
> disallow those scroll-buttons afaik.
>
> In general tabs are never going to scale properly to many documents,
> things like the Ctrl+Tab switcher, window->next/previous view or
> quickopen are much better if you work with many documents. At least
> thats my experience working with IDE's that do have tabs and features
> such as the one you proposed.
>
> Of course that doesn't mean not improving what we have if we can, but in
> this case I think we can't.

Sadly I have to agree in principle with Andreas. There are a few things we can
do to improve the current situation though:

- make sure the active document is always centered, e.g. when there are lots
of documents to the left and right. this way I never end up in a situation
that opening a new document "hides" all documents to the right.

- decrease font size

- only show close button for active tab

- ...

bye