Improvement regarding tabs overflow

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Dec 6 18:35:56 UTC 2010

On 06.12.10 19:13:22, Yannick Motta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm disappointed by the way of kdevelop's tabs bar manage tabs overflow.
> Currently, in the case of an overflow, we have to scroll right and scroll
> left, seeking overflowing tab we are wanted to open it.
> In my opinion, this approach is inefficient and unsatisfactory .
> Instead of scrolling, I suggest adding a button offering the list of
> overflowing tabs.

You're barking up the wrong tree unfortunately :) Implementing our own
tabwidget is out of the question IMHO (lots of code that someone has to
maintain) and the widget we're using currently doesn't provide a way to
disallow those scroll-buttons afaik.

In general tabs are never going to scale properly to many documents,
things like the Ctrl+Tab switcher, window->next/previous view or
quickopen are much better if you work with many documents. At least
thats my experience working with IDE's that do have tabs and features
such as the one you proposed.

Of course that doesn't mean not improving what we have if we can, but in
this case I think we can't.

You learn to write as if to someone else because NEXT YEAR YOU WILL BE
"SOMEONE ELSE."