Request for review: Okteta plugin 0.1.0 for KDevelop 4.0

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Aug 24 18:40:14 UTC 2010

On 13.08.10 00:11:28, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> now that Okteta 0.5.0 is released, also all the headers for the Okteta libs
> are published for the first time, so that 3rd-party developers can make use of
> these libs in their software. Well, also 1st-party developers :)
>
> Thus I just gave some polish to the Okteta plugin for KDevelop 4.0 I started
> at the Kate-KDevelop sprint in Berlin early this year. I think it is ready for
> a first release now. Find it at
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/devtools/kdevelop4-extra-
> plugins/okteta/
>
> Now I wonder:
> What to do? :)
> Where (repo, folder) would the released branch of the plugin end?
> How/where do I develop the version for KDevelop 4.1?
>
> So could someone please review the code and help with adding it to the
> official plugins (if accepted as such)? Millian, at Akademy you showed
> interest to help with this, still possible? :)
>
> There is still one problem (but on KDevelop side):
> in the filesystem tool in the RMB menu all actions from plugins are added once
> more if the menu gets shown, so by the time appear x times. Alexander, at
> Akademy you said you have a fix for this, but I still see this with what I get
> if I compile the kdevplatform 1.0 and kdevelop 4.0 branches. Strangely enough
> the KDevelop (1.0.0, 4.0.0) I use here on (K)Ubuntu does not have this
> problem. Will this be ixed in 4.0.2/1.0.x? Could I help?
>
> Some blog blabla for more background:
> http://frinring.wordpress.com/2010/02/16/okteta-going-for-kdevelop-and-kate/
> http://frinring.wordpress.com/2010/07/27/akademy-development-catalysator/

Using a new mail for my notes on this. I'm writing this down as I go
through and explore the features (as far as I can):

- Wouldn't the "Byte Table" be better named something with Ascii or
  Latin1 in it? Because thats what it is after all right? Or is the
  char-column to be considered just 'one among several representations'?

- there's some #if 0'ed code that looks like copied from the designer
  plugin, probably should be removed?

- there's a rendering glitch for the address bar on the left of the
  document view

- The structures toolview seems to analyze the document from the cursor
  position which was kinda un-intuitive when opening it the first time
  as the structure information for my elf binary was wrong. Also it
  might be good to auto-enable the elf+png stuff, took me a bit to
  figure out how to get anything into the view :)

- The strings toolview didn't seem to do anything, everything was
  disabled even after typing something into the lineedit.

- The statistics toolview also seems to be not really useful. The button
  is disabled and the table doesn't show anything.

- I think it would be nice to have no separate "Open as ByteArray"
  option in the context menu but instead have that as an option under
  "Open With". But thats something we'll have to tackle in kdevplatform
  first :)

Codewise it looks quite clean and nicely designed.

I think if you can fix that rendering bug and make the two toolviews I
noted do something useful (maybe I'm just too stupid to use them
correctly??) or remove them its good to go for a release.

You will give someone a piece of your mind, which you can ill afford.