vcsjob starting to output too early

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Aug 20 00:07:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi!
> I've been trying to put some information on the VersionControl output view
> to try to be able to see what is the tool that's showing some output.
>
> The thing is that the output is started in VcsJob constructor so we don't
> have any chance to put a title into it or an object name or anything so we
> don't have any chance to differentiate. I've locally moved that to depend on
> the VcsJob::start (the developer who implements the support will have to
> care about triggering it to show).
>
> I'm just sending this e-mail to know if other developers agree that it's
> the best solution. Another solution would be to delay the start so that we
> can put a title on the constructor but I think waiting until start makes it
> easier to provide a meaningful title.
>
> Cheers!
> Aleix

Ok, I'll explain it a little bit more (or at least different).

Now we issue the OutputJob::startOutput call (that creates the OutputView)
in VcsJob constructor. That means that we don't have any chance to put a
title (OutputJob::setTitle) to the VcsJob view at any place in the VcsJob's
implementations.

The solution I proposed (and sent a patch for) was to make it up to the
VcsJob implementation to issue the ::startOutput call whenever
the implementor feels desirable (and if in some case it's not, it can be not
added and it's still fine) but then, of course, it's up to the developer to
add it where necessary (If all VcsJobs in some module have the same base it
can be done by that one, of course).

Hope all's clear now!

Aleix