Request for review: Okteta plugin 0.1.0 for KDevelop 4.0

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Aug 18 05:24:03 UTC 2010

On 18.08.10 00:23:07, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Mardi, le 17 août 2010, à 22:28, Aleix Pol a écrit:
> > On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 11:11 PM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
> > <kossebau at kde.org
> > > wrote:
> > > now that Okteta 0.5.0 is released, also all the headers for the Okteta
> > > libs are published for the first time, so that 3rd-party developers can
> > > make use of
> > > these libs in their software. Well, also 1st-party developers :)
> > >
> > > Thus I just gave some polish to the Okteta plugin for KDevelop 4.0 I
> > > started
> > > at the Kate-KDevelop sprint in Berlin early this year. I think it is
> > > ready for
> > > a first release now. Find it at
> > > http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/devtools/kdevelop4-extra-
> > > plugins/okteta/
> > >
> > > Now I wonder:
> > > What to do? :)
> > > Where (repo, folder) would the released branch of the plugin end?
> > > How/where do I develop the version for KDevelop 4.1?
> > >
> > > So could someone please review the code and help with adding it to the
> > > official plugins (if accepted as such)? Millian, at Akademy you showed
> > > interest to help with this, still possible? :)
> > >
> > > There is still one problem (but on KDevelop side):
> > > in the filesystem tool in the RMB menu all actions from plugins are added
> > > once
> > > more if the menu gets shown, so by the time appear x times. Alexander, at
> > > Akademy you said you have a fix for this, but I still see this with what
> > > I get
> > > if I compile the kdevplatform 1.0 and kdevelop 4.0 branches. Strangely
> > > enough
> > > the KDevelop (1.0.0, 4.0.0) I use here on (K)Ubuntu does not have this
> > > problem. Will this be ixed in 4.0.2/1.0.x? Could I help?
> > >
> > > Some blog blabla for more background:
> > >
> > > http://frinring.wordpress.com/2010/02/16/okteta-going-for-kdevelop-and-ka
> > > te/
> > > http://frinring.wordpress.com/2010/07/27/akademy-development-catalysator
> > > /
> >
> > Since we don't want to have oktetalibs installed as a kdevelop dependency,
>
> You mean both hard and optionally dependency?

Even though Aleix is one of the maintainers, I disagree with him on
this. We already have an optional runtime-dep on kdesdk in kdevplatform,
so IMHO it would be ok to have an optional build-time dep on kdesdk in
kdevelop for the okteta-plugin. In particular because kdevelop is now in
'extragear' (well, will be again once its on git.kde.org), so there's no
technical problem with that.

> > I guess the best would be that you install kdevelop support together with
> > Okteta and KDevelop will detect that automatically.
>
> Given that I can't add that to SC 4.5 and that there will be multiple KDevelop
> releases with incompatible plugin versions in the meantime... sorry, don't
> agree that this is the best :)
>
> > You can release the KDevelop plugin separately also, what would you prefer
> > to do?
>
> Hm, what would packagers prefer? How do you (plan to) handle plugins for
> QtDesigner, KDiff/Kompare and others which depend on other libs? Will there be
> some KDevelop-Addon module, next to KDevPlatform and KDevelop? That is what I
> would prefer to have the plugin in. Could be the starting plugin for that
> module?
> Where else do you consider all the stuff to end which is currently in
> playground/devtools/kdevelop4-extra-plugins?

I think packagers would be preferring to be able to package those
plugins separately. So planning a bit into the future I think it would
make sense to use a separate git repo for each, but bundling those that
we 'officially' maintain as a kdevplatform-plugins or something like
that (we had that in extragear/sdk too). We'd need to see how to release
this stuff, i.e. wether the plugins can do individual releases or we
always only release everything together (or a mix of both).

You've been leading a dog's life.  Stay off the furniture.