Movingranges branch

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Aug 6 21:10:05 UTC 2010

On 06.08.10 20:14:59, Milian Wolff wrote:
> (not quoting since KDE 4.5 RC3 KMail's quoting is broken :))
>
> Squeeze is the
> next stable Debian release. I personally think many institutions like
> Universities use it, as probably do a few businesses. Both are imo right in
> the middle of our targeted user base.
>
> Furthermore you should be aware that
> even now KDevelop master has quite a few additions and bigger fixes than
> 4.0. And I use it all day long, it's very stable (even more so than the
> current stable branch maybe?).
>
> This alone
> would imo qualify for a release. If you all think that we should ignore
> Debian than ok, lets do that and concentrate on a 4.1 with a hard KDE 4.5
> dependency.
>
> Though to make it really clear: I personally would prefer
> releasing a 4.1 that works without KDE 4.5, and instead discontinue the
> current stable branch.

Dunno how much my opinion still matters (as I basically don't work on the
code anymore or even use kdevelop), but I'm with Matt here, its IMHO a
lot better to do a 4.1 release in maybe 2 months based on KDE4.3 (or
maybe even 4.4 to get rid of some backward compat stuff) and then
concentrate on getting 4.5+ support in and stabilized. Right now 4.0 and
master are really close together, which makes merging fixes really easy
and which means that 4.1 will be seen as a really good improvement over
4.0.

One thing I've learned in the past 4 years from Qt releases is that its
useful to put in a minor release for stabilization/small
improvements/speedups after huge changes, users will be very thankful
for that, much more thankful than for a new shining feature thats only
usable for 5 minutes because it has instabilities.

You could even say that feature-development stops in 2-4 weeks for 4.1,
then branch off for stabilization and then merge movingranges to master
for 4.2. That way you'd have lots of time to stabilize it.

Chicken Little was right.