Changed Open/Import Project Page

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Aug 2 19:23:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, 14. July 2010 14:25:26 David Nolden wrote:
>> > Hi, I've noticed that when I do "Open/Import Project", I first get the
>> > page to obtain the project from the web now.
>> >
>> > I think this shouldn't be there, but there rather should be a separate
>> > menu entry "Import Project from Repository" or something like that,
>> > where that stuff could exist.
>> >
>> > "Open/Import Project" was dead-easy and super fast before, and I think
>> > this makes the dialog too slow. We could also think about renaming it
>> > to "Open/Import Local Project" or something like that, to clearly
>> > distinguish both menu entries.
>>
>> While I agree that I'm also sometimes hit by the extra step, I'd still
>> like to
>> see whether we could not maybe find a different solution.
>>
>> I often find it (personally?) very confusing when I open a dialog that
>> does
>> something similar to what I want to do, just to see that it's not supposed
>> be used for what I want to do. Meaning:
>>
>> I don't like the idea of having two dialogs to do nearly the same thing.
>> Could
>> we not find some other solution that keeps the current status (one dialog
>> import a project) but somehow improve the UI/usability to make it fast
>> once
>> again to import a local repository?
>>
>> Imo a good solution would already be to put the second page file selection
>> into
>> the place of the "working directory", when source == "do not obtain". To
>> me
>> the working directory is simply obsolete.
>>
>> And since switching the source already changes the UI below, I think we
>> could
>> just reuse that?
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Bye
>> --
>> Milian Wolff
>> mail at milianw.de
>> http://milianw.de
>>
>> --

> Yes, that's what I meant by finding a better solution

So we don't like the first step I added and I was considering solutions.
Since I have like a mental mess I'll put here the solutions I've thought of
so that we can discuss.

- Separe the wizard into two menu entries open and import project for
example. It's easy and straightforward, no code duplication but clutters a
little the menu. I like it, but I fear the name might not be verbose enough.
- Put a Import project button in the same page as the KFileDialog that shows
the dialog. That would make the UI a little uglier but wouldn't influence
the rest that much. Also it would make the new feature very hard to see and
since it's very oriented to newcomers I don't really like it.
- Have two KFileDialogs, one for the local case (with the select source
widget in the same view) and another one on the next page in case it's a
project that's just been checked out. I think this one might make the UI a
little complicated and probably duplicate some code but it would be the best
for current users.

What do you think? I think the best is to have the two menu entries but I'd
also like to know what do you think of my concerns on the other ones.

Thanks!
Aleix
-