Freezes and Git Migration

Nitin Gupta ngupta at vflare.org
Mon Apr 26 01:28:44 UTC 2010

On 04/26/2010 01:37 AM, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> One last thing: I'm not sure wether we talked about this yet, but once
> we do live in git I think we should go with the usual (at least for
> now): "Bugfixes should always be done in the oldest branch that you want
> it to be in, usually not in master" and then merge the current stable
> branch into master on a regular basis (I'm thinking about once a month).
> There are other development models (amarok uses one, another is
> explained here: http://www.nvie.com/git-model), so if anybody is of
> different opinion please open a new thread about that.

With this model, what is the way to get the bleeding edge code?
As I understand, new feature development will be based on master while
bugfixes will on "oldest branch you want it to be in" and sync to master
will happen once in a month. So, there will be no way to get all the latest
features with all the known fixes?

Maybe all fixes should be automerged to master as soon as something is
committed to other stable branch? Maybe the developer doing the fix should
make sure that the fix is ported properly to main?

Just my 2 cents.
Nitin