KDE/kdelibs/kate/buffer

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.de
Sun Apr 11 13:08:07 UTC 2010

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 11.04.10 14:47:20, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
>
>> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>
>>> The insults are a different story of course, if I did that I apologize.
>>> I know its not an excuse for insulting, but reading the discussions was
>>> rather frustrating for me.

>>> I guess one problem is that this was done rather fast (IIRC 2 weeks or
>>> so). Thats not a lot of time, not even looking at the fact that our own
>>> release plans meant people focussed on getting their features done in
>>> kdevelop.
>>>
>>> In fact I'm kinda surprised that this crash hasn't been discovered and
>>> worked-around earlier.
>>>

>> I asked more than one month ago, at least the mail already is out of my
>> 28 days mailbox expire.
>>

> I was talking about the timeframe between implementing it in the git
> repo and moving it to svn (enforcing it on a bigger user base). Anyway,
> playing a "its your fault not my fault" game doesn't bring us anywhere,
> so lets just ignore whatever everybody thinks who's fault it is.

I don't want to play that game neither, but I still a bit disappointed
that any warning or hint into the kdevelop community get ignored.

> I don't really have anything to add to the rest. Obviously we'll need to
> fix more places in KDevelop, I just hope we can get this done for 4.0.1
Yeah, think that would be nice.

But one point should be clear:

<maintainer mode on>

For KDE 4.5, smart stuff will stay there, like it is. I will only remove
not used methodes, to avoid further spreading.

But maybe for 4.6 or later, there will be a replacement for the whole
smart stuff.
Which is only a subset of the features it has now.

Atm, what is missing for kate part internally to remove the usage of
smart is the missing ability to add attributes to the new
Kate::TextRange's and efficient lookup.
I hope to fix that already for KDE 4.5.

And then, in the future, smart* will be purged from katepart.

I won't let this be discussed.

Hamish and David can fix as many corner cases as they want, but given
that stuff is not understandable by anybody beside Hamish (and the fact
it has that many bugs shows not even by him), it will vanish.

Smart* is the major design error of katepart.
It will be purged.

I will for sure keep kdevelop in mind while designing the replacement.
But it won't be thread safe, there will be no mutex in kate part.
KDevelop needs to lock itself.

<maintainer mode off>

That means, after KDE 4.5, you can all again decide what to do. If you
want to fix your parser or fork kate part.
But Smart* will be removed.

And no, Hamish won't be able to convince me otherwise, given the lack of
maintainance during the last years.

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com