Laying down the maintainer-hat

Esben Mose Hansen kde at mosehansen.dk
Sat Apr 10 09:33:26 UTC 2010

On Saturday 10 April 2010 10:50:58 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Well, my experience with KDevelop is that the "steering the development
> into the right direction" part is not really needed. The team is pretty
> much clear on what we want and how to achieve it. So it basically boils
> down to things like proposing release plans or at least dates for the
> next beta and then taking care of actually doing it (in time, which is
> one part I really suck at due to not having any kind of calendar app).
> That includes taking care of the version, tagging it, tarballing and
> uploading it. And taking care of having a dot-announcement and a blog
> entry too. Oh and nowadays its also good to send a mail to amilcar to
> make sure our website is updated with a news entry (as he seems to have
> little time currently).

So basically, it is release management?

How about we:

 * Decide upon a next release date.
 * Have a wiki with the steps needed. (Basically what you have written above,
in bullet form)
 * Create bugs for each step for a release, and find volunteers to take care
of each bug.
 * Have one of these steps/bugs be "coming up with the next release schedule."

Could that work? In that way, noone would have to shoulder it all. I /know/
that I could not possibly shoulder what you have, but I could certainly e.g.
pack up the tarballs, or write the blog, or one of the other steps.

> Once we find a new maintainer, I'll surely be handholding and providing
> more details on the steps to him (or all of us to make sure this is
> written down somewhere).

That would be very helpful :)

--
Kind regards, Esben