kdevelop 4 parsing on opensuse 11.2 is extremely slow for linux kerenl project

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 3 16:40:58 UTC 2010

I'm trying to answer now to all the mails together, including your
personal one, Milian.

PERFORMANCE:
In general, the include-path resolver _already_ caches the result
per-directory, and usually that works! The big slowdown you're seeing
on the kernel is probably a plain and simple bug.

I think the main problem is that only _successful_ include-path
resolver runs are cached. When the runs are never considered
successful, then they are never cached, and we run it over and over
again.

In the case of the kernel, the runs are probably _never_ considered
succesful, because there simply is no include-paths.

So there would be 2 things to do here:
- Make sure we recognize a run as successful even if the result is
empty (kernel case)
- Make sure we don't unsuccessfully call "make" over and over again.
The problem here is, that it's hard to pick the 'correct' make call.
For example, there may be some files in a directory that simply don't
have a target. Calling "make" for those will fail, and we don't want
to cache that for all the remaining files in the directory.

It might make sense to aggregate all the make calls for one file
within one call, I don't exactly remember why the exit-status was
needed for each of them, I think it was so that we can identify the
one that was successful.

Now that we're doing per-directory caching, it might even make sense
to completely ditch the selection of a specific target, and simply
call "make" without a target specification, and give it
"--assume-changed" switches for all the files in the directory.

MODIFICATION-TIME ISSUES:
Currently the include-path resolver changes the modification-times of
the files it tries to resolve include-paths for, by doing a "touch",
so that the gcc command line will actually get printed. When it does
that, then it remembers the old modification-time, and resets it once
the include-path resolver run has completed, and if the file hasn't
been changed in between. The problem is that there simply is no way to
do this 100% without issues, because there is always a gap between the
check "should we reset the modification-time?" and the actual reset.

At the same time the "--assume-new" option of make is used as well,
but from what I remember there have been issues with this because of
the way the file is specified (absolute/relative etc.), and it didn't
work together with additional scripts like unsermake (though this
might be superseeded by now).

However, if the caching works correctly, this should be a non-issue,
as the modification happens only once for one file in each directory.
Still, this should be re-investigated. Actually in the beginning I was
planning to use the modification-time changing only if there is an
underlying script like unsermake, but something like that is hard to
decide.

USEFULNES:
The include-path resolver is useful, and should stay there. It makes
the C++ support "just-work" for cmake-, automake, unsermake, and
simple custom-makefile projects, and I think even qmake projects,
which altogether should cover 90% of the common build-systems under
linux. The only project-manager we can half-way reliable get
include-paths by ourselves right now is cmake, but given that cmake is
permanently evolving, I still wouldn't want to rely 100% on custom
parsing of it.

The issues we have right now can be solved through better caching of
the results. In future we might consider adding some switches for the
include-path resolver: Disabled, per-project, per-directory, per-file.

TESTING:
Unfortunately there is no unit-tests, but there is an
"includepathresolver" tool that can be compiled through a cmake
switch, and that can then be used to do some testing.