Translations break menu restructuring

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Apr 2 20:41:51 UTC 2010

Hi,

we've got a serious problem with the menu-restructuring. When being
translated it doesn't work anymore, at all. It does seem to work in
german, but several other languages are completely broken (I've tested
pt_BR and fr_CA locale here), the order seems to be close to random and
sometimes the separator is even the first element. That leaves us three

1) Don't ship any translations (I wanted to ship them with RC1, but this
mess makes it impossible), which personally I'd like to avoid

2) Revert the menu-restructure (or rather disable)

3) somebody fixes the code to work properly with translations (see below
for how to do that), probably by not using the text, but the action
names for re-ordering.

Howto build kdevelop with translations:

The easiest way is checking out kdesdk/scripts/createtarball from trunk
and run it via createtarball -u <svn-user> and then type "kdevplatform
kdevelop" on the commandline so it checks out both. Build + install the
two checked out directories. Then make sure your system has the pt_BR
locale enabled (on debian thats done via dpkg-reconfigure locales) and
run kdevelop with LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8 environment variable set.

To add translations to an existing checkout you can follow the steps
createtarball does, which are:
- create a po dir and for each language to check out a new subdir
- checkout all files from trunk/l10n-kde4/<language>/messages/extragear-sdk/ into the po/<language> directory
- create a CMakeLists.txt in the po directory which does
  add_subdirectory(<language>) for each language
- add find_package(Msgfmt REQUIRED), find_package(Gettext REQUIRED) and
  add_subdirectory(po) to the top-level CMakeLists.txt in
  kdevelop/kdevplatform

Build and install, that should create various .mo files in share/locale/<language>/LC_MESSAGES
The rest works as above, start kdev in the right locale and have that
locale enabled in your system (else you'll only get english text). If
you look at the config.ini from createtarball you'll see the languages
which have 75% or more translated for kdevelop/kdevplatform.

You will receive a legacy which will place you above want.