Extreme display corruption

Nicolai Haehnle nhaehnle at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 12:06:36 UTC 2009

I concur that it's KDevelop's choice to use the raster engine by
default if it makes user experience better.

Speaking as somebody who's involved in the open source graphics driver
development, however: In general, we appreciate it if you let us know
about performance issues in the drivers. Otherwise, it'll never get
fixed and you'll stick with the raster default indefinitely, even
though native or opengl would be better solutions in the long run.

We appreciate it even more if you can help trace the problem down
(e.g. figure out which Render calls or whatever are responsible for
the slowdown) and perhaps provide a small self-contained application
that demonstrates the issue. After all, not everybody uses KDE.

(Most likely this problem is already known and only persists because
of lack of manpower - I'm personally only involved in the 3D part of
the drivers -, but from time to time we hear about surprising,
previously unknown, performance problems.)

cu,
Nicolai