Extreme display corruption

Mon Sep 14 14:26:30 UTC 2009

On Monday 14 Sep 2009 7:14:16 pm Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 14.09.09 16:26:36, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >>
> >> And with "native" KDevelop is simply
> >> unusable.
> >
> > What exactly do you mean?  It seems to work great for me.
>
> It means that with the extensive highlighting we do for C++ scrolling and
> editing in katepart are horribly slow. We've found that factors influencing
> this include compositing-effects as well as general PC power.
>
> Or try a very long line thats dynamically wrapped inside the editor, thats
> also very slow to edit with native engine, but really fast with raster.

> >> Except if the default makes the app in question unusable. We want to
> >> provide a nice experience from the start, without the User having to dig
> >> up some obscure cmdline option.
> >
> > This way we end up with each app circumventing defaults.  Imagine if
> > each app would do that.  Users would have to configure each and every
> > one separately and we're back to the 1980's.  Surely I'm not the only
> > one who sees something wrong about this approach?  On most systems, Qt
> > is not configured with raster as default, and there's a reason for that.
>
> How do you measure "most systems"? I've got 3 at hand and all of them use
> raster by default. There are in fact only few desktop apps that cannot use
> raster at all because they rely on certain implementation details of
> native and the KDE apps among them apply the same code we do to force their
> app to use native instead of raster - ignoring my configured Qt default ;)
>
> > In any event, I don't feel too strongly about it, since now I know how
> > to fix it.  Just mentioning that this might bite lots of people and it
> > might be a good idea to make this configurable in KDevelop and using
> > Qt's default by default.
>
> It already is configurable by using the cmdline switch supplied by Qt.

Thanks for this discussion. On my Samsung NC10 (Netbook with intel graphics)
KDevelop started to feel really slow the last couple of weeks. After this
discussion, i wanted to give it a try and launched kdevelop with -
graphicssystem native. It is so much faster! Relaunching without that option
make is slow again!

May be reconsider that decision?
--
Cheers!