New release-plan

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Nov 27 19:21:18 UTC 2009

On 27.11.09 19:44:31, David Nolden wrote:
> So Andreas said the only way of getting back the source-formatter is releasing
> KDevelop4 separately of the 4.4 release cycle.
>
> Due to my somewhat reduced time, and as I feel that 2 months of feature-freeze
> are not enough after 3 years of development, I anyway think that we need
> slightly more time to fully stabilize KDevelop.
>
> So, I hereby propose an alternative release plan:
>
> - From now on, enter a "weak" feature freeze. That means: It is allowed to add
> specific features that we consider important for the 4.0 release, after
> discussions. For example need at least _some_ kind of source-formatting
> support.
>
> - At 1st Feburary enter "hard" feature freeze.

What about the meeting? If I recall correctly it'll probably happen
around the time of 13th-20st. It would've fit nicely with the KDE4.4
cycle as trunk would be wide-open again at that time. I don't think it
makes much sense to have a developer meeting with hard freeze in place.

> - At 30th March, Release KDevelop 4.0.
>
> I think that in this time, we can make KDevelop4 really rock-solid.

I guess everybody knows my vote on it, I still think we should release
with KDE4.4 as is right now (plus bugfixes).

However, I'll accept whatever the majority thinks. One thing that I
think is in order then though is to move kdevplatform, kdevelop and
quanta into extragear. Lets face it, our release cycles will never be
along with KDE's as our pace is completely different (due to much less
contributors and time). And I think we should respect the KDE policies
here that clearly say that apps that want to release outside of KDE's
cycle need to go to extragear.

Today is the first day of the rest of the mess.