KDE/kdevplatform

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Nov 26 23:18:05 UTC 2009

On 26.11.09 23:51:49, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 26 November 2009 20:02:53 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > > The problem is that by removing this feature wholly, you introduce new
> > > bugs in the code-generation.
> >
> > Huh? Are you kidding? There's exactly 2 lines of source code that I
> > touched in code-generation and they were already "optional" if no
> > formatter was available.
>
> The problem is the follow-up problems that result from the source-formatters
> not being there. I have written some code that simply _assumes_ that there is
> a source-formatter, else it won't even _indent_ inserted code properly.

Well, that was already the case before I removed the source. As I said
it was very easy to disable all formatters and users actually even did
exactly that.

And still, missing indentation is IMHO not a big deal, its easy enough
with kate to repair that. And its not like our current completion or
code-generation creates code-snippets that need lots of reindenting.

> Such crappy source-code insertion is simply not what I want, I've put too much
> work into that stuff to let it be devaluated so senselessly. If you would have
> removed the source-formatters earlier, then I would have screemed earlier, and
> we could have found a viable soloution.

Well, I only looked closer at the source while trying to address a bug.
And that was exactly the point in time when I removed it, so it won't be
part of the release.

> Anyway getting to the point: We _need_ some kind of source-formatting for the
> C++ support.
>
> The options are:
> 1. Hack down the existing source-formatter support, thereby omitting its few
> significant bugs
> 2. Derive a new minimalistic maintainable source-formatter plugin that has no
> UI at all, and just calls a command-line tool that is read from some place in
> the sources
>
> I'm willing to do both of these things. Both of them are a reduction of the
> source-formatter support that existed when the feature-freeze was entered, and
> thus viable options.

No, thats where you wrong. The removal happened before the freeze, so at
the time of the freeze we had no source-formatter anymore. Hence the
only way to get source-formatter back is to drop out of the KDE 4.4
release. And before we do that, I want to hear more opinions about this.

> The simplest option is probably option 1 for the 4.0 Release as it's well
> tested, and then unless the source-formatter gets some significant maintenance
> option 2 for 4.1.

I actually am willing to rewrite and maintain the sourceformatter stuff
as it was apparently planned. But not for 4.0.

You can rent this space for only $5 a week.