Test KDevelop4 with --graphicssystem native

Alexander Dymo alexander.dymo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 22:43:38 UTC 2009

I think we should just use native now. See below for details:

субота, 21-лис-2009 14:42:25 Andreas Pakulat ви написали:
> I suggest that if we don't find enough data one way or the other we'll
> keep what we have now and see how many bugreports we receive during the
> KDE4.4 phase and re-evaluate based on that for 4.1.

I don't have Qt 4.6-based system, but Qt vesion shouldn't matter much.
I've tried KDevelop with both raster and native. With my setup (Opensuse 11.2
with opensource ati drivers), I can't tell the difference between raster and
native.

Performance regressions were on systems with:
- linux kernel < 2.6.30
- old nvidia drivers
- proprietary ati drivers
- old intel drivers without UXA

Recent distributions (new ubuntu, opensuse, fedora) already have the new linux
kernel and new intel drivers with UXA. With them, there should be no
performance regressions with native.

There's still an open question about proprietary ati drivers, but Nikos
Chantziaras reported no issues with catalyst and Qt 4.6. So it may be fine
now. Also, with new distributions and updated radeon driver, people won't have
to use commercial driver anymore.

I've tested my desktop with opensource radeon driver and Qt 4.5. There's no
perceivable difference between native and raster.

So, yes, I do think we can switch to native. People on old systems may still
use --graphicssystem=raster anyway.