Test KDevelop4 with --graphicssystem native

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Nov 22 19:24:22 UTC 2009

On 22.11.09 00:57:00, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 21.11.09 22:25:03, David Nolden wrote:
> > Am Samstag 21 November 2009 22:14:10 schrieb Aleix Pol:
> > >
> > > Works fine here with both raster and native, but I guess using native will
> > > be better.
> > >
> > > Why don't we stop forcing raster for now? If it's outperforming we can go
> > > back to force raster in january. It's something hard to measure, it's more
> > > like a feeling I guess.
> >
> > The problem is that you might not feel the difference during a fast shallow
> > test, but only during 'real' usage. From what I remember, native vs. raster
> > was a giganting performance difference in the completion-list in the past:
> > Start code-completion at some place where there is really many completion
> > items visible, and then scroll through the list by keeping "PGDOWN" pressed.
> >
> > Another important test: In a large file with a lot of semantic highlighting,
> > use the scrollbar to scroll up and down the document really fast, and measure
> > the _felt_ lag between scrolling and painting.
>
> On my current desktop-machine (yes thats the new one) none of those
> cause any lag with native. I'll try on the old laptop tomorrow (which
> also uses Qt4.5 not 4.6)

Ok, tried. The scrolling via scrollbar of the editor (duchain.cpp) is a bit
laggy, in both variants. Its a tad bit faster on raster, but that only
means a little less flicker with raster than with native.  Scrolling with
keyboard in the completion list is however very fast.

A visit to a fresh place will bring strange work.