KDE/kdevplatform/shell

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Nov 10 08:20:07 UTC 2009

On 10.11.09 08:58:11, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Montag 09 November 2009 23:48:34 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > >
> > >  Btw. I think we shouldn't expect users to give names to sessions, that's
> > > too much management effort. They should just be named by their contained
> > > projects, for example "kdelibs+kdevplatform+kdevelop".
> >
> > I completely disagree, a Session is not just a random number of projects
> > being loaded together. There are far more settings supposed to be stored
> > in it so it may make sense to have two sessions for the same projects.
> >
> > I don't think this is a burden, because frankly I still don't see this
> > being used by any of the first-time users.
>
> But what identifies a session?

A uuid ;) Basically most/all of the global configuration should be in
the session. So a session is really your complete working environment
within kdevelop - source formatters, environment groups, enabled plugins
and also projects.

> We can auto-name sessions like that, and give the user an option to
> rename his session if he likes.

Ok.

> We should make using sessions as simple as possible, and IMO it would be best
> to completely re-use the semantics of working-file-sets here, a session would
> be a set of projects which is automatically defined by the projects you open.

Thats a working-project-set, not a session. See above.

> I don't like it when sessions need to be 'explicitly' managed like workspaces
> in eclipse.

I don't like that either which is why I don't use different workspaces
in eclipse at all.

> If we replace the 'Close all Projects' menu-item with a 'Close Session' menu
> item, then even every newbie user will automatically start using sessions
> intuitively if he has multiple unrelated projects.

I'm not sure I like that as it means a complete restart of the IDE.. But
I'm willing to do that and wait for the first bugreports coming in :)

> >Do you think a submenu listing all known sessions (by name) to allow to
> >quickly select a different one is needed? Or do you think the current
> >dialog (Settings->Configure Sessions) is enough?
>
> Yes exactly something like that.
>
> The current dialog has a few problems:
> - Hidden in 'Settings' menu (should go into 'Projects')

No, its not about projects (not only at least), so it must not be in the
projects menu.

> - Doesn't actually load sessions

Hmm, last I used it thats exactly what happens when you choose "make
active".

> - Requires too many clicks to activate a session (a submenu containing all
> sessions would be better at least for loading)

Right, this is more a "management" dialog, then a way to "quickly"
switch between sessions.

Is this really happening?