Cpp veritas actions

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed May 20 12:49:54 UTC 2009

On 20.05.09 01:29:02, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Dienstag 19 Mai 2009 23:21:12 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > On 19.05.09 22:33:40, David Nolden wrote:
> > > I find all the veritas cpp actions problematic. They show up when right-
> > > clicking any declaration and some even on files, and personally I
> > > honestly don't have a clue what an action like "Create Stub" is useful
> > > for. I think the average user will have the same problem. Just seeing
> > > such an action in the user interface, without even having a clue that it
> > > is related to testing, is quite useless. So how can we improve that?
> >
> > Well, an obvious improvement would be better grouping of the actions, i.e.
> > use a submenu and indicate on the menus title that these actions are
> > testing-related. Can you give an overview of the actions (just the
> > currently used text) and what each does? That would help in finding out
> > which might just be overkill to have and which are useful.
> As I said, I have no clue what most of those actions do. ;-) At least having
> them in a "Testing" submenu would be good. Although it's usually just one
> action, so it would probably be pulled out anyway.
>
> By the way wouldn't it make sense to prefix actions that are pulled out of
> there groups in the context-menu with their group label? So the action would
> be "Testing - Create Stub", "Refactoring - Rename ...". This would probably
> also lead to less confusion due to actions that "disappear" into sub-menus.

Good point, I agree having the prefix might make sense.

> > > Also, sadly there seems like there is quite a bit of refactoring/code
> > > generation code within veritas, that would belong into a more generic C++
> > > code generation framework. Some of those actions have probably already
> > > been superseded by assistants I have created.
> >
> > Well, then refactor those actions in veritas to use the assistants - or
> > remove them where they simply don't provide additional usefulness.
>
> I have found out what the "Create Stub" action does, and since it also is
> essentially the same as "Create Class", I've removed it as well.

Saw that, though I have to say that shortcuts to certain functionalities
are sometimes quite nice. However in this particular case the shortcut
should just re-use the Create-Class dialog and make sure that all methods
are selected automatically, instead of doing it all itself...

Avert misunderstanding by calm, poise, and balance.