Howto integrate valgrind

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Mon May 4 02:57:09 UTC 2009

On Monday 04 May 2009 05:25:40 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've started to port the valgrind plugin to the launch framework and
> came across a decision on which I'd like some input. Basically its how
> to best integrate the various valgrind tools that are available.
>
> Right now the solution is to have 1 launcher for each tool, and they all
> support the profile mode. This has the benefit of having 1 action in the
> gui to start a valgrind run, on the downside this means when you want to
> switch from memory-profiling to say callgrind you'll need to adjust that
> in the launch configuration (as there's only 1 active launcher per
> launch mode per launch configuration).
>
> The other option is to create new launch modes for each of the tools,
> i.e. profile (memory), profile (function calls), profile (threading)...
> The obvious downside is an explosion of gui actions in the
> menus/toolbars, while on the upside you can easily switch between
> running a memory-profile and a calling-profile.

One for each tool, to me the fact that the valgrind executable is shared is
irrelevant (except that some configuration may be relevant for each run).

BTW, the valgrind plugin is broken for anything non-memcheck, as only memcheck
supports XML output (at the moment, afaik).  If someone is keen, support for
non-XML outputing tools should be added.

Cheers,
Hamish.