VCS: Proposal for a change of arguments to remove(), checkout() and import()

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Mar 27 10:05:23 UTC 2009

On 27.03.09 10:50:23, Fabian Wiesel wrote:
> First of an off-topic question: Did you receive all the various editing
> stages, too? Or is it just my mail-program mis-displaying something?

Editing stages? Not sure what you mean with that. To check what I did
receive just check the archives on lists.kde.org :)

> 2009/3/27 Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>
> > Can you please use diff -u  for patches? Makes them easier to read - IMHO.
> >
> Okay, I will prepare the full patch, and post it on the reviewboard. I
> thought since this would become a fairly wide-reaching patch
> I'd rather distill the essence, as it otherwise could scare people.

I just meant that you should use diff -u when creating the diff, which will
use this format:

- someline
+ newline

instead of

< someline
> newline

which I personally find awkward to read. Its fine to post only parts of the
whole patch.

> > No, the vcsmapping was introduced to support systems where one can have
> > multiple sources checked out into different local locations. This is
> > something perforce supports, so you'd say:
> >
> > put http://repo/foo/bar into /home/me/projectfoo/bar
> > put http://repo/baz into /home/me/projectfoo/baz
> >
> > in perforce. And the Matthew who back then created the interfaces with me
> > is interested in writing perforce support at some point.
> >

> This may be a reason why VcsMapping came into existence, but it doesn't
> negate the problems I cited.
> What does one gain by batching all the checkouts? And is it sensible to
> require all but one VCS to re-implement said capability?

A VCS doesn't need to re-implement that capability. In fact it shouldn't
and (unless I was drunk when writing it) Subversion only uses the first
entry from the mapping and ignores everything else.

And btw, this is not batching for perforce, the result is 1 checkout which
integrates several different repo paths (maybe even branches, not sure).
Its comparable to an svn:external that is set only locally inside that
checkout.

The VcsMapping is a description of how to create 1 checkout directory from
1-n repository places.

Lady Luck brings added income today.  Lady friend takes it away tonight.