Patch for preliminary Mercurial integration in kdevplatform

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Mar 22 14:01:54 UTC 2009

On 22.03.09 11:55:19, Fabian Wiesel wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:56:18 +0300
> Evgeniy Ivanov <pfx.kde at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > While we are at it, what about the reset()-function? From what I
> > > understand, it seems to me as a mixture of checkout() and revert().
> >
> > AFAIK Revert takes care about your history, [...]
> > - reset is a cleaning helper: no matter what you have in index or
> > worktree - it will bring you, your history (etc) to the past (who did
> > say you can't travel to the past?)
> > [...]
>
> There seem to be a slight misunderstanding, with checkout() and

Shouldn't checkout be moved to ICVCS as well? Unless I'm missing
something with dvcs you don't "checkout" but you rather "copy" a remote
repository, right?

> > > For what? An additional interface for distributed vcs? Certainly.
> > > But what functions are essential for a DVCS? What does every DVCS
> > > _have_ to implement? I don't think an "index" is part of that.
> >
> > Yes,  an additional interface for distributed vcs and implementing
> > basic interface in DVCS.
> > Mostly push, pull. Also functions to work with a history: rebase,
> > revert, reset, checkout. Branching is a cool thing too (only with
> > git/hg/bzr you can enjoy with it).
>
> I was trying to point out, that while there are a lot of cool features
> in various DVCSs, many are not essential and bound to differ among the
> various tools. I'd suggest to be rather cautious in adding said
> features to the generic interface, as it may be next to impossible to
> implement it with another DVCS.

+10 from me :) A given vcs-plugin can _always_ provide its own
i<preferredvcsnamehere>.h interface header which other plugins can use
then. The only downside would be interacting with scripting languages as
for those the methods have to be slots (iirc)

You can create your own opportunities this week.  Blackmail a senior executive.