Quickopen integrated on the main window. (Was: KDE/kdevplatform/plugins/quickopen)

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Thu Mar 19 16:02:09 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag 19 März 2009 16:27:42 schrieb Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen:
>   More like QtCreator, really, but in the top-right corner. Specifically,
> something that looks like a search/filter field rather than something
> listing the current position in the document/code and such, sitting in the
> position which is fast becoming the default position for such program-wide
> searchy type things. If you want, i'll throw a quick li'l mockup type thing
> together to show you what i mean :)
I was already thinking about this. But apart from improved discoverability, I
don't see the striking advantage in this approach, so to me, it isn't worth
investing much work into this. If it was on the top side, it's probably easily
possible to use the existing quickopen list to implement this, but one would
need some additional mechanisms to let the user choose what he actually wants
to search for, since there would be no room for the picking buttons.

It would actually rather have some disadvantages, mainly that there would be
less space available to show the matches. I know this kind of design is
modern, but we shouldn't drive it too far. When something is better suited to
be a dialog, it should be a dialog..

Greetings, David