KDE/kdevplatform/plugins/quickopen

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Mar 19 15:10:29 UTC 2009

On 19.03.09 15:20:47, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 19 März 2009 14:39:38 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
>
> > You'd have the same problem if you'd use the form that we have now, apply
> > it onto a QWidget and put it into a QDialog with a layout. The reason it
> > worked with QDialog is that when you resize it inside designer a resize()
> > call is added to the generated code. So every time someone would resize the
> > dialog in designer and save that we'd have a different size on next start,
> > how good is that?
> Ah yeah exactly, the size was determined by the designer. I don't see what's
> wrong with that approach.

I already tried to explain whats bad with it, it can get accidentally
changed. This is especially bad when the person changing it has a large
screen.

> > Oh and btw, 800x400 is _not_ a reasonable size, it spans the whole screen
> > on small laptops or monitors. Something like 550x350 seems a lot more
> > reasonable.
> Well it is a modal dialog, and when the space is used in a useful way,

As I said (in the part you snipped) its not used in a useful way right now.
So the dialog needs to be larger than it should be because the treeview
wastes space.

> Since you even the smallest netbook has a screen resolution of at least
> 800x480, something like 760x400 would be a reasonable size.

Hmm, I find it looks rather ugly if the dialog is as large as the whole
mainwindow, so I suggest to first fix the view/model to not was that much
whitespace and then find out a reasonable size for the dialog.

The time is right to make new friends.