Patch for preliminary Mercurial integration in kdevplatform

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Mar 17 11:27:59 UTC 2009

On 17.03.09 13:31:59, Evgeniy Ivanov wrote:
> On Mon March 16 2009 23:52:26 Fabian Wiesel wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:44:33 +0300
> > Evgeniy Ivanov <pfx.kde at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >  Then "Add" should be enabled (AFAIK it is)
> > > independent on file is already controlled.
> >
> > It is, and it is annoying. Adding is not a sensible operation on a
> > file, which already has been added.
>
> As a git user I woudn't understand (without reading our mails) why "Add" is
> disabled. Better to remove it away.
>
> > > And "Remove" should always
> > > shoot and in case file is not controlled we can show failure dialog
> > > (in our case "git/hg" will finish with cute status).
> >
> > While this is quite work efficient solution and I don't intend to
> > change that any time soon, I believe that this also contradicts every
> > Human Interface Guideline in existence :)
> > I hope, you just wanted to point out, that it doesn't break anything and
> > therefore shouldn't have a high priority. On that, I certainly can
> > agree.
>
> Sure. If you can't remove a file, you shouldn't see remove item in menu.

Just a comment on those two: Actions should _never_ be removed from menus,
they should be disabled but not removed. Removing menu items due to
differing contexts is considered bad usability as it'll confuse the user:
"I just opened this menu the same way I always do but now item XY is gone,
wtf. this must be a bug".

You will be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize... posthumously.