Debugger library

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sun Mar 15 15:32:18 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Niko Sams <niko.sams at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a php debugger, and want to reuse parts of the gdb
> debugger - apol created
> a few abstract classes (IBreakpointController, IBreakpoints,
> INewBreakpoint) but they are
> still inside gdb. Where should I move them so they can be used by my
> plugin?

I think that we should create a kdevplatform/debuggers directory for that.

> The second problem I have is that I have to duplicate all debugger
> actions - and we then
> have Start, Restart, Step Over, etc twice.
> The start might have to stay - as a way to say with which debugger the
> target should
> be started.
> Same problem with ToggleBreakpoint, RunToCursor and the breakpoints
> themselfe. Although
> it might be ok to have breakpoints in all debugger plugins if the user
> adds them.

What about integrating it to RunController or adding a DebuggerController?
I'd rather the second, though, so that we don't mix up so much thinks...

> A solution could be a DebuggerUI-Plugin that implements an interface -
> that all debuggers can use.
> What do you think?

I'm not sure about that, but for now our priority should be that all
debugger plugins use the same widget set. (backtraces, variable view, etc).

> Niko

Debuggers should feel integrated to the whole IDE solution, we should
integrate the Run targets with the debugger and all the Areas stuff as well.

I would like to work with you with this debugger stuff because I think it is
a very important step for KDevelop now.

Take care!
Aleix