Help writing a plugin

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Jun 26 23:45:21 UTC 2009

On 26.06.09 17:58:19, Manoj Rajagopalan wrote:
>   I get your points about the 3.5 branch being dead and 4.x being active but I
> suspect many users would prefer existing 3.5 installations to complete their
> work and experiment with 4.x later. I am in this state myself so I thought of
> writing the plugin for 3.5.

IMHO KDevelop4 is completely usable at this point and provides enough
improvements to warrant dropping 3.5 instantly. In fact there are only
two reasons I still use KDevelop3 at work:

a) no time to replace the KDE3 env I have there with KDE4
b) partly related to a) no support for the custom buildsystem we use

> I can of course release a 4.x version later - the
> part of the code that will interface with KDevelop will change but the
> graphing code that visualizes once the data has been retrieved should be the
> same so writing both versions should be 1.5X work as opposed to 2X. Am I
> correct so far?

Depends on how much Qt API you use for visualizing. KDevelop3 uses Qt3,
while KDevelop4 uses Qt4 and the API even for QWidget and more
importantly various behaviours have changed between the two versions. So
I'm guessing its rather 1.75x. Not to mention that the way of fetching
the data is also different as the relevant code in the gdb plugin has
changed.

>    I also get the part about writing a GDB-specific plugin right now. Does
> this have to be done in-tree or is it conceivable to have an standalone
> plugin that a package manager (like RPM) could copy into the correct system
> dir for KDevelop to detect?

No, thats not possible. Only the gdb plugin has the knowledge about the
displayed variables, so this would need to be done inside the gdb plugin
in kdevelops source.

Things will be bright in P.M.  A cop will shine a light in your face.