automatic area switching

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 08:35:39 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 21:45, David
Nolden<david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 25 Juni 2009 20:46:03 schrieb Niko Sams:
>> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 20:06, David Nolden
>>
>> <david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de> wrote:
>> >
>> > It's part of the basic design, but with areas we can circumvent it. For
>> > example, we could move or copy the current working-set into the debug
>> > area when starting the debugger.
>> >
>> > The debugger can open tons of new documents during stepping, so it would
>> > be good if there was an easy way of getting rid of those again. So I'd
>> > propose that when starting the debug, we _copy_ the current working-set
>> > into the debug area, but as a separate working set. Then you can switch
>> > back into the code area, and have the clean working set from before.
>>
>> I like the idea that the areas and working sets are somehow connected but:
>> - after every debug session one more working set is not good
>> - the user should notice what's going on (magically duplicate areas)
>>
>> And the use case that you want to stop the debugger and hack right there
>> won't work with this.
>
> It would work because we wouldn't switch back automatically, but leave the
> option to the user. This could be a bit complicated though.
>
> Another problem is, what happens to the working-set in the debug area when we
> start debugging? It probably shouldn't be overwritten.
>
> So maybe we should only do it when there currently is no working-set in the
> debug area. Yes maybe we shouldn't copy it, but rather just move over the
> current one. The user still has the option to duplicate it if he likes.
Moving (or opening a second time in debug area) if it's empty sounds good.
Although it has the problem that  a lot of files get added to the set
when stepping in the debugger.

And when the debugger stops we remove the workingset from the debug area
and switch back to code. (but remove only when it was automatically added).
So the user still has the possibility to load a custom working set in
the debug area
and we won't touch it.

Niko