automatic area switching

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Thu Jun 25 09:32:28 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag 25 Juni 2009 10:33:47 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> Hmm, right. I'd like to hear more opinions about the switch back vs. not
> switch back, but if we decide to automatically switch back we could have a
> way of showing a certain toolviews in all areas...
Con, because I can think of cases where it would be very annoying: When I
debug a problem, find the buggy position through the debugger, and think to
myself "great, I can fix this right now", then I push "stop debugger", and
suddeny the documents that I wanted to work on are switched away.

Maybe we should just "hint" that the user can go back into the coding area,
without disrupting the user. A passive notification would once again fit well
here.

We have to really think through the use-cases before we do such a thing. What
I think is totally un-problematic is automatically switching to the debug-area
when starting to debug. But again, there should be some kind of indication to
make the switch a bit less confusing (I'm thinking of making the blue
background of the area blink for a few seconds).

Greetings, David