Remembering variable state

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Jun 14 10:36:15 UTC 2009

On 13.06.09 12:02:17, Ramon Zarazua wrote:
> >Folks,
> >
> >I have a user-level design question for local variables view.
> >
> >Say, at some moment in time, you looked in frame 2 of thread 1
> >and saw variable 'v', which is of class type. You have expanded
> >it, and changed the format of second child to hex.
> >
> >Some time later, evil fate has you looking at thread 5, frame 4.
> >You have a variable in that frame, which is either also called 'v',
> >or has the same type as 'v', or both. Now -- should that variable
> >be also shown as expanded, and should its second child have hex
> >format?
> I think the best way to go would be to actually let the user decide. It makes
> sense to me, to have a marker (checkbox probably) that when activated, it
> signals that the view for that type should be remembered(I don't really see
> use for variables of the same name though).

I don't think have a checkbox on each variable in the tree that has
children is a sensible UI. It means 2 clicks for the user to make sure a
(sub)tree is open or not and more importantly it means a hell of a lot
of extra logic to handle partial selections.

IMHO assuming that if name or name+type are equal to a previously expanded
variable its safe to again expand this variable is fine. I'm not sure if
that assumption should be made purely on the type though, as apps often
have varying variables of the same type and you only want to look at a
specific one.

Keep emotionally active.  Cater to your favorite neurosis.