Remembering variable state

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Sat Jun 13 12:54:13 UTC 2009

Folks,

I have a user-level design question for local variables view.

Say, at some moment in time, you looked in frame 2 of thread 1
and saw variable 'v', which is of class type. You have expanded
it, and changed the format of second child to hex.

Some time later, evil fate has you looking at thread 5, frame 4.
You have a variable in that frame, which is either also called 'v',
or has the same type as 'v', or both. Now -- should that variable
be also shown as expanded, and should its second child have hex
format?

How does the answer changes if we're looking at the same thread, or
the same frame, or if the frame is innermost in all cases?

Thanks,
Volodya