Extending a debugger for data inspection and visualization

Manoj Rajagopalan rmanoj at umich.edu
Wed Jul 29 13:59:39 UTC 2009

Resend.

Subject: Extending a debugger for data inspection and visualization
Date: Friday 24 July 2009
From: Manoj Rajagopalan <rmanoj at umich.edu>

Hi Niko, Vladimir, Andreas and others,

  I looked up kdevplatform/debugger/variable/variablecollection.{h,cpp}.
Please confirm if I understand the following points. Then please help me with
my questions that follow.

* the classes there are treeitems that will appear in the variable-widget's
variable tree.

* There seem to be two principal categories right now : locals and watches.

* There used to be a third category of evaluated expressions under
the "Recent" tree header item in KDev3 but it has probably been absorbed into
one of the above or will be generated when the user requests one for the
first time.

QUESTIONS:

* Data inspection nodes like visualization and memory tables will be special
kinds of expressions which require reading arrays of data from memory. Will
we need a new subclass of Variable or TreeItem to handle these?

* Can these nodes be given a separate heading like "Data Inspection" which
appears as a sibling to Locals and Watches? While these behave as
expressions, they won't exactly be expressions because they may require
auxiliary user-data to function. For example, a "complex<double> matrix" view
of memory will require additional information like whether the data is laid
out in row-major or column-major formats and the stride between rows or
columns in either case.

* In KDev3 there was a memory-viewer widget which allowed examination of a hex
dump of memory. A data-inspection widget is the generalization where we can
view memory according to some schema (like a structure) given the starting
address, schema and layout information. At the outset this is easy to achieve
with simple types like int, float, double etc. that extend the basic view of
memory as bytes. Does this seem like a useful feature?

* Tabulation or graphing of data is a matter of representation and therefore
we have a MVC paradigm here. Because of the debugger abstraction, can all
this be folded into a debugger-independent plugin? If so what classes and
methods should I begin looking at to extract the relevant information from
the debugger? I have noticed that IDebugController returns a
VariableCollection*. Once I setup a slot to receive its
sessionAdded(KDevelop::IDebugSession*) signal, I should be able to get all
this information from VariableCollection, correct? From this I can list
various variable objects but how do I go about evaluating them and extracting
array data? In the case of strided-data I will need multiple calls to the
debugger to retrieve data-set pieces which I will then need to assemble
together form a coherent data-model.

Thanks,
Manoj