KDE/kdevplatform

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Mon Jul 27 14:40:13 UTC 2009

Am Montag 27 Juli 2009 16:19:20 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> On 27.07.09 15:46:05, David Nolden wrote:
> > Am Montag 27 Juli 2009 15:02:19 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > > SVN commit 1002980 by apaku:
> > >
> > > Revert "Step towards 'useful' multiple-mainwindow support: Add an
> > > interface for plugins to create per-mainwindow actions, and
> > > manage+merge those actions within the additional mainwindow." and
> > > related commits.
> > >
> > > Its quite apparent that multi-mainwindow support isn't quite that easy
> > > to implement, so this should be done in a branch until its working -
> > > including conversion of all plugins.
> >
> > I don't see a reason why all plugins need to be converted at once. Each
> > added component that supports multiple mainwindows properly is a step
> > forward, and there should be no issues due to conversion, so it's
> > perfectly ok doing that in trunk.
>
> The problem I have with this is that we'll end up with some plugins
> supporting multi-mainwindows and some don't - eventually even in the first
> release if no-one feels like sitting down and converting them. I don't see
> a good reason to delay the conversion of all.

Apart from that, this way, new plugins or new code can directly use the multi-
mainwindow compatible system. Actually that was my main motivation to start
this multi-mainwindow stuff: I wanted to add some more toolbar stuff, and I
don't want to re-do it once we change the API to properly support multiple
mainwindows. I don't want to write 'wrong' code now that will cost me even
more work in the future.