KDE/kdevplatform

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Jul 27 14:19:20 UTC 2009

On 27.07.09 15:46:05, David Nolden wrote:
> Am Montag 27 Juli 2009 15:02:19 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > SVN commit 1002980 by apaku:
> >
> > Revert "Step towards 'useful' multiple-mainwindow support: Add an
> > interface for plugins to create per-mainwindow actions, and manage+merge
> > those actions within the additional mainwindow." and related commits.
> >
> > Its quite apparent that multi-mainwindow support isn't quite that easy
> > to implement, so this should be done in a branch until its working -
> > including conversion of all plugins.
> I don't see a reason why all plugins need to be converted at once. Each added
> component that supports multiple mainwindows properly is a step forward, and
> there should be no issues due to conversion, so it's perfectly ok doing that
> in trunk.

The problem I have with this is that we'll end up with some plugins
supporting multi-mainwindows and some don't - eventually even in the first
release if no-one feels like sitting down and converting them. I don't see
a good reason to delay the conversion of all.

> If there's is issues with KDE 4.2 then someone who has it needs to fix that,
> as I don't have it. Moving it into a branch won't help that.

The code in question is the same in KDE 4.3 and 4.2, I've looked into it
that far already. So I'm lost within xmlgui as to why, using a separate
branch at least keeps this stuff out of trunk for a while (and by then we'd
probably depend on KDE 4.3).

And if you cannot test this on our base requirement, then you cannot
implement this in trunk. Forcing bugs onto other people and then asking
them to fix them is not the right way to do development IMHO. Especially if
"fixing" means spending a couple of hours of debugging.

Regarding the actual crash: Loading the outputview plugin seems to be fine,
but then loading the makebuilder crashes because the xmlgui client that is
created from createGUIForMainWindow() apparently has non-null factory set
(no idea where that comes from). And xmlgui then tries to remove the client
from that factory when we add the client to the mainwindow.

Good night to spend with family, but avoid arguments with your mate's
new lover.