Multiple main window support, and action-collections

Alexander Dymo alexander.dymo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 00:11:54 UTC 2009

> > I'd say we need two functions in a plugin:
> > 	//this would return action collection without a parent, and then will be
> > 	//reparented to a mainwindow by mainwindow itself
> > 	KActionCollection &IPlugin::guiActions()
> > 	QString IPlugin::xmlGuiFile()
> > and a function in MainWindowPrivate to create KXMLGUIClient instance
> > based on this information.
>
> We now have this in one function instead.
In this one?
createActionsForMainWindow(Sublime::MainWindow* window, QString& xmlFile,
KActionCollection& actions)

Api-wise this function, being in IPlugin, doesn't look good. Functions which
modify their arguments are a bit confusing.

> > /me wonders whether there're more problems possible...
>
> I'm pretty sure there are, but I'm not sure any of that is fixable
> within kdevelop. I really wonder wether its worth the trouble or we just
> decide to either drop xmlgui or multi-mainwindow support.

It's going to be quite complex to drop xmlgui. It does solve quite a lot of
problems (shortcuts, toolbar/menu editing, merging with kate and other parts
ui and so on). Not an easy task. After all "liveui" was never finished.