KDev4 debug launch error message "Need gdb 6.8.50 or higher"

Manoj Rajagopalan rmanoj at umich.edu
Fri Jul 24 18:58:43 UTC 2009

Hi all

  I created a new launch configuration in which I explicitly set the path to
the executable and the working directory.

  The execute launch works fine. The debug launch gives me a messagebox with
the error mentioned in the subject. My system has gdb v6.8-debian (I am using
KUbuntu 9.04). I built KDevelop 4 and kdevplatform from source after an svn
update minutes ago.

   Can someone help me with this? Also, when playing around with the debug
launch config, sometimes I get a message saying that GDB is unable to write
to devices tty* etc. and that I should check /dev/tty* to see if GDB has
write permissions to it.

   Are these two messages linked? If not could someone help me out the second
also?

Thanks,
Manoj Rajagopalan