KDevelop UI states

Alexander Dymo alexander.dymo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 14:35:13 UTC 2009

Recent question about buildsets/workingsets made me think about UI states in
which a user may work within KDevelop.

In KDevelop4 UI state is defined by:
- session (loaded plugins)
- area (loaded toolviews)
- opened projects
- working sets
- buildsets

To work, the user should be easily able to tell at any moment:
a) how current state of KDevelop represents the thing he's working on
b) what he needs to do when he wants to switch between things he's working on,
and how the state will change

In KDevelop3 the state was merely described by a project.
a) current state is just a name of a opened project
b) to work on another thing, you'd just open another project and the UI state
(plugins, toolviews, opened files, etc.) would reflect this change

In KDevelop4 we allow to change independently 5 parameters of the state. Thus,
the user can find himself in nearly an infinite amount of states. This is too
complicated. Even for me it's not clear atm how do I change between things to
work. And I think we need to change this.

Ideally, I'd like KDevelop4 retain its flexibility, but offer an easy way to
change between states just like 3.x did. I mean one thing to change all those
5 parameters at once.

PS: I have a remaining dozen of UI bugs in my list to fix and then I plan to
think about this.