KatePart + KDE 4.4 + QMutex & Co.

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Mon Jul 20 22:37:25 UTC 2009

Am Sonntag 19 Juli 2009 20:00:12 schrieb Christoph Cullmann:
> The question is: Wouldn't it be enough to lock the main-thread an access
> kate part's API or would that be to slow? That way, there would be no
> locking inside kate part be required at all.
>
> Given that QtCreator seems to do some parsing, too, and needs not
> thread-safe QTextDocument/View, it should work out.

It has nothing to do with parsing, but mainly with the highlighting. That is
something that Qt creator does not (yet) do at all. The highlighting is very
expensive, and thus it happens in a background thread.

I agree that it would be good simplifying the whole thing somehow, in a way
that would reduce the cross-kate-kdevelop breakage risks.

Right now, a big problem is that kate developers simply don't notice if they
break kdevelop, since kate does not use the multithreading.

That would require a rethought API. But since the APIs are fixed until KDE 5,
I don't see how you want to change something in the KDE 4.4 timeframe.

Greetings, David