Toolview Buttons

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Fri Jul 17 18:53:00 UTC 2009

Am Freitag 17 Juli 2009 17:34:33 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> So 1 and 4 would be the two options to choose from IMHO. Other opinions?
Actually I like 3 most. There is no reason to rotate the icons, and they are
better recognizable, so you get the advantage of (1).

But I don't see the advantage of not showing the text. Like adymo, I think
we're wasting screen real estate if we remove the text, and reduce the
usability, as you first have to hover all the icons before you know what's
hidden behind the toolview.

Once you've associated the toolview to the icon, you won't have to read the
text any more, and thus I think the text does not have a negative effect on
the 'permanent' usability.

Also the text gives a much larger 'click' target for activating the view,
which improves usability.

The only advantage I see on the 'only icons' mode is that you have to do less
mouse movements to get from one icon to the next, but I'm not sure if that's
relevant.

Greetings, David