RFC: Opening non-code files embedded or standalone

Ben Boeckel MathStuf at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 16:40:40 UTC 2009

David Nolden wrote:

> Am Sonntag 12 Juli 2009 10:37:29 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
>> Hi,
>>
>> before I just change things, what are people's opinions about
embedding
>> non-code files (via KPart) vs. opening them in the preferred
application
>> standalone?
>>
>> Specifically I'm thinking about .ui files, which are
currently opened in
>> an embedded kpart which doesn't allow changing the .ui file.
So to edit
>> a .ui file I need to start designer on it manually.
>>
>> I'm thinking about doing it similar to what ecplise does,
that is allow
>> to open embedded or in external application and remembering
that
>> decision based on the mimetype. I'd also like to have a "open
as text"
>> too, so I can edit a .ui file inside kdevelop as xml.
>>
>> Opinions?
>>
>> Andreas
>
> Since an IDE is meant for editing files, and not for viewing
them, the read-
> only kparts are not really useful. I think we should by
default open files
> with a component that can also be used for editing.
>
> The nice thing about opening files within KDevelop is that
they stay 'in
> context' with the other currently edited or viewed files.
>
> For .ui files, we should use the original Qt designer for now.
>
> What about embedding the whole application directly within a
tab using XEmbed,
> with an option somewhere in the UI to enable/disable this
behavior, and a
> button somewhere to 'free' the application? With this
approach, we could just
> open any file directly with its associated editor within
KDevelop in a tab.
> For example .svg files using inkscape, .odf files using
openoffice, .lyx files
> using lyx, etc..
>
> It should also be possible to open any file as text directly
within KDevelop,
> so ideally there would be a right-click menu Open With ->
Default editor
> (KDevelop if it's a supported file type) | Standalon Editor 1
| Standalone
> Editor 2 | ...
>
> Greetings, David

Will it be possible to set defaults? In KDevelop, I'm usually
looking to edit the XML of .ui files for little touchups, not
looking to edit layouts or whatnot (though I've done that before
too). Since such changes are usually either major or require
working many files, Qt Designer itself is usually the first stop
for stuff like that.

- --Ben