RFC: Opening non-code files embedded or standalone

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Jul 12 08:37:29 UTC 2009

Hi,

before I just change things, what are people's opinions about embedding
non-code files (via KPart) vs. opening them in the preferred application
standalone?

Specifically I'm thinking about .ui files, which are currently opened in
an embedded kpart which doesn't allow changing the .ui file. So to edit
a .ui file I need to start designer on it manually.

I'm thinking about doing it similar to what ecplise does, that is allow
to open embedded or in external application and remembering that
decision based on the mimetype. I'd also like to have a "open as text"
too, so I can edit a .ui file inside kdevelop as xml.

Opinions?

You will get what you deserve.