Some help with launch configurations

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Jul 11 13:21:04 UTC 2009

On 10.07.09 14:54:00, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Friday 10 July 2009 Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > If the combobox in the dialog is meant to "create" the tab below it. would it
> > > not be better to have them as tabs that always exist and just discard the
> > > "Launch Mode" combobox?
> >
> > Well, IMHO its not so nice to have 8 tabs there just because there are 8
> > possible launch modes. And eventually even more if there are more launchers
> > for a given launchmode (think of integrating gdb+msvc-debug on win32 for
> > Debugging native apps). Thats why the tabs are added/removed based on the
> > launchmode.
>
> However, the current UI has its own problems:
>
> 1. It seems like the launch mode is a property of configuration.

Yeah thats not very good. Switching the name and the combobox doesn't
look a lot better though (see attached mockup).

> 2. Next time you've opened the dialog, you still get only first tab

Yeah, the dialog currently doesn't store any state.

> Probably, it's best to remove the combo, and instead have "add mode"
> button that will add tabs relevant for a new mode?

Hmm, interesting idea, I'll try to play around with that a bit. However
adding a launchmode won't be mandatory as I'd like to have execute+debug
"just work" after creating a project (auto-adding a launch config is on
my todo list). So maybe it should rather be "Change Launch Mode
Settings" or something like that. And once you've got custom settings
(i.e. non-defaults) for a launch mode the tab is always automatically
added?

You will be recognized and honored as a community leader.